Monday, July 28, 2008

Day 4 - Day of Rest

I didn't post on Sunday night because of a lingering cold which had me down. Anyway, it was mostly a day of rest. Most of the kids and volunteers went on a walk to a nearby town. Yes, that's close to 600 kids plus 50+ volunteers. Apparently the town was not much more than a few houses strung together with tiendas (stores) attached to some of the houses.
I ended up not going on the walk to town so that I could rest up for Monday, which would be our first day at the dental clinic. My day consisted of sleeping, reading, eating, and relaxing. Speaking of eating, this is my quick recipe (as requested) for lunch on the ranch:
- Go outside your room and pick 2 green, but soft bananas from the tree
- Cut the bananas into rounds, and saute them in a pan with a little oil and sprinkled with a little sugar.
- While the bananas are cooking, return to the courtyard and pick two fresh papayas from the tree. Wash, peel, deseed, and cut into small bite-sized pieces.
- Once the bananas are done, put them in a bowl with the papaya.
- Finally grab two fresh eggs from the bunch that were delivered early in the morning and scramble them.
- Gorge yourself on awesome fresh Honduran food.

Seriously, eggs and chicken are a huge part of the diet here on the Ranch. We've had chicken in most of our dinners and eggs in the majority of breakfasts.

At any rate, the rest seemed to have helped quite a bit because I feel SO much better today. Later tonight, I'll update how Monday has gone.

No comments: